Spirulina is a type of algae that grows in fresh or salt water. It comes as a supplement, in tablet or powder form. People use it for its health benefits, as it is rich in nutrients and has antioxidant properties.
Here are some evidence-based health uses and benefits of spirulina.
1. Rich in many nutrients
Spirulina is packed with nutrients. A single tablespoon (tbsp), or 7 grams (g), of dried spirulina powder, contains: Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Copper, Iron.
2. Boasts powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
3. May lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
4. Protects LDL cholesterol from oxidation
5. May have anti-cancer properties
6. May reduce blood pressure
7. Improves symptoms of allergic rhinitis
8. Could be effective against anemia
9. May improve muscle strength and endurance
10. Could support blood sugar control
Healthline content is strictly informational and should not be considered medical advice. See a licensed medical professional for diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Opinions expressed in this video may not reflect those of Healthline Media.